Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing 14 Technocrati and How to Use Tags

I went back and looked at my Thing 9 which said Technocrati was too confusing. Now I wonder why as it now makes sense to me. It reminds me of searching an online newspaper with the categories at the top of the page. However, this is blogs. I am a little confused about the Technocrati Authority. The first definition said that it is the number of blogs linking to the website in the last 6 months. The highest number would be the number #1 blog. Then I read something that make me think it was the opposite to determine the number #1 blog. Anyone know how to determine the number#1 blog with the most number of blogs?

I thought it was interesting to see that Google and Yahoo are their competitors. Google Reader reminds me of Technocrati, although to me is more about news not blogs. Also I thought it was interesting that Yahoo purchased Del.icio.us in December 2005 and already owns Flickr. No wonder Bill Gates wants to buy Yahoo.

If your goal is to read other blogs on a topic, then I think Technocrati is the best tool. My only concern is that everyone knows about Google and Yahoo, but the non-tech group does not necessarily know about Technocrati.

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

There have been mixed reviews of Technorati by the other Library2Play participants, but if you find it useful, that's great!